JON GIBSON is the singer-songwriter most compared to Stevie Wonder because of similarities in their songwriting, musicianship and vocal capabilities. A prolific songwriter and collaborator, Jon Gibson is capable of writing music. melody and lyrics quickly in most genres, as well as being a skilled session instrumentalist on piano, guitar and percussion. He is an accomplished music producer, and arranger and has written and produced 10 solo albums both mainstream and Gospel, rendering more than 20 Top 5 Songs and 9 no.1 Hits on R&B, Smooth Jazz and Christian/Gospel Charts. He currently holds the record for the longest playing single at number one in Christian music history with the song Jesus Loves Ya, which held the number one spot for eighteen weeks. The album Jesus Loves Ya, was featured in TIME/LIFE'S 100 GREATEST CHRISTIAN ALBUMS as one of the most influential recordings in Christian and Gospel music.
Gibson has performed with Stevie Wonder on stage and worked with him on several projects, two of which were his own. As a cross-over Gospel artist in the mid-nineties, Gibson's influence stretched across several genres putting him in the studio and/or on stage with many great artists such as Miles Davis, Sammy Davis Jr., Rick James, Billy Preston, M.C. Hammer, Herbie Hancock, Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5, and many others.. Jon released his 10th solo album independently in 2012 entitled "The Story Teller" as a tribute to his beloved late father Stanley Earl Gibson who encouraged him and helped him to become a recording artist.
Recorded with: Michael Jackson - Stevie Wonder - Bill Wolfer - M.C. Hammer - Tramaine Hawkins - Joe Satriani - Nathan East
Nate Watts and many others.
Performed with: Stevie Wonder - Miles Davis - Sammy Davis Jr - The Nelson Riddle Orchestra - Nancy Wilson - Billy Preston - Herbie Hancock - Rick James - M.C. Hammer - Timex Social Club - Justin Timberlake - Marroon 5 - Kirk Franklin - Michael Paulo - Ray Parker Jr - Chante Moore - Shirley Ceasar - and many others.
- Michael Jackson sang background vocals on Jon's debut track.
- Guitarist Joe Satriani played two solos on Jon's album "On The Run".
- Jon sang "Happy Birthday" to Nancy Regan while Ronald Reagan was president.
- Stevie Wonder showed up at Jon's debut recording session to say hello.
- When Ray Charles won his lifetime acheivement award, he brought it with him for a late night private celebration at Stevie Wonders Los Angeles studio. Jon Gibson just happened to be hanging out with Stevie that night to share the moment with his best friend Ramiz, Stevie, Ray and just a few other people.
- Stevie Wonder played Harmonica on Jon's 4th album "Body & Soul".
- Jon sang background vocals and doubled a lead with Stevie Wonder on his song "Sailing" on the Jungle Fever sountrack.
- Recording artist Prince hired Jon as his house band for his 2005 Golden Globes after party. Sitting in with Jon was Herbie Hancock, Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5 and actor Matthew McConaughey on congas.
- Jon introduced the first rap song to Christian radio that featured a then, unknown M.C. Hammer.
- Sammy Davis invited jon to one of his last performances in las Vegas.
- Jon was featured in TIME/LIFE's book;100 Greatest Christian Albums
- Jon Gibson still holds the record for the longest playing single at #1 in Christian music history.